This is the quickest ever lime meringue pie you will ever make. If you would prefer you can make it with lemon but I think the lime adds a nice twist. This recipe makes enough to serve 6-8 people.
You will need:
- 75g (3oz) butter
- 25g (1oz) demerara sugar
- 175g (6oz) digestive biscuits, finely crushed
Lime curd (cheat version)
- 1 x 394g tin of full-fat, sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- finely grated rind and juice of 2 large limes
- 3 egg whites
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- teaspoon / tablespoon/ measuring spoons such as these plastic or metal spoons
- glass bowl such as this bowl
- teaspoon / tablespoon/ measuring spoons such as these 5 pc plastic measuring spoons £1.49 and FREE delivery or 4 pc metal measuring spoons £2.99 and FREE delivery
- scales such as these digital scales £6.99 & FREE delivery
- wooden spoon such as this 30cm Bamboo spoon 29p plus 99p delivery
- 9 inch flan dish such as this 9″ flan tin £8.99 inc FREE delivery
- food mixer such as this for £31.99 inc FREE delivery
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- Place the biscuits in a sealable plastic bag and use a rolling pin to bash them to a fine crumb.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan (over a medium heat). Onc melted remove from the heat, add the sugar and biscuit crumbs and mix until combined.
- Press the mixture into the flan dish using the back of a spoon ensuring that the edges are slightly higher to hold in the filling.
- To make the lime curd pour the condensed milk into a bowl and gradually add the egg yolks, lime rind and juice. Once combined pour the mixture into the biscuit-lined dish.
- For the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a free-standing mixer until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. Add the caster sugar a teaspoon at a time, still whisking until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Spoon on top of the filled biscuit base and spread the meringue until the filling is completely covered. Use the back of a spoon to swirl the meringue to form stiff peaks.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the meringue is pale golden.
- Allow to cool for approximately 30 minutes for the filling to set.