You will be surprised at just how easy this bread is too make. Although it will take a few hours to be ready (because of the proves) it really does require minimal effort. The steps are very easy and straightforward so it is the perfect recipe to make with little helpers!
You will need:
- 7g fast action dried Yeast
- 500g strong white plain flour (or wholemeal) plus extra for dusting
- 10g (1tsp) salt
- 350ml luke warm water
- a little butter for greasing
- teaspoon / tablespoon/ measuring spoons such as these 5 pc plastic measuring spoons £1.49 and FREE delivery or 4 pc metal measuring spoons £2.99 and FREE delivery
- measuring jug such as this 0.5L Pyrex jug £4.45 & FREE delivery
- scales such as these digital scales £6.99 & FREE delivery
- glass bowl such as this 1L glass Pyrex bowl £3.16 inc FREE delivery
- small non stick loaf tin such as this 6″ x 3.5″ Non stick loaf tin £3.15 and FREE delivery
- Place the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Form a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, gradually add the water and stir until the mixture forms to a dough like ball (you can use hand or a spoon for this part – it’s up to you).
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead (or if you want to do it the French way then stretch and fold) for at least 10 mins until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Lightly butter and flour your loaf tin and set aside.
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and gently mould it to the shape of the tin, being careful to fold all of the untidy edges under the bottom.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to prove for 30 mins (I didn’t have one so I used the lid for my cake stand). I’m no expert but I would imagine that cling film would do the same job.
- Dust the top of the loaf with a little more flour
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath. Leave the bread on a wire rack to cool completely.